Monday, January 25, 2016

Spirituality and the Sexual Man

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE, CELIBACY, SEX


If I thought that I could do any good by being celibate, I would be. And, I would be so busy doing good that I wouldn’t miss the tawdry appeal of sex. What if I gave a party and no one came? I don't want to develop and promote an idea only to discover that I am the only one on the planet who cares about it. I don't want to be sentenced to solitary confinement by celibacy. If sex connects me more intimately to others, I might want it to be part of my life.

I understand that homosexuality and Christian Science are mutually exclusive. Aren’t they? I have no desire to reform Christian Science. I’m happy with it the way Mrs. Eddy founded it. I am neither qualified nor motivated to take on the task of reforming a great, worldwide religious movement. However, even as a homosexual, I have always thought that there must be a place for the likes of me in Christian Science. I am by no means an exemplar, healer, or teacher. But, I have gotten a lot of good from the teachings of Christian Science and its Church all my life. I'm in.

As a young man, I began to understand that, even if I did everything by the book, I would not be received into the Christian Science community of healers and religious teachers. I began to understand that my yearning to serve God and man was not enough to qualify me for that exalted company. So be it. I was disappointed. But, it may have been for the best. I still love Christian Science and Christian Scientists. I’m a member of The Mother Church. I read the Lesson every day. Christian Science is my healer and guide. I wouldn’t want to live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment